Issue adding data from a form

stuart.cole

I know this will be simple for many of you - but I have a challenge! Something to do with rushing things probably ...

But ...

I have written a CMS system to use on my own websites which inputs news from an online form, adds to DB etc ... but adding the news automatically is causing me a challenge at times.

My text input fields, where the text is taken from press releases etc quite often have apostrope's (') in the text - but these seem to be causing a problem when it tries to add the info to the DB... the apostrophe's are taken as part of the input coding, rather than just part of the text.

I've found a work around where I can change the ' to ` in word and re-paste and that works, but isn't the right way of doing it.

So, is there a way to force it to read an apostrophe as text, rather than code?

Code used below ...

<table width="400"><H1> INSERT NEWS HERE:</H1><br /><br />

<form action="insert3.php" method="post">

<tr><td>Heading: </td><td><textarea name="heading" cols="40" rows="2"></textarea></td></tr>

<tr><td>Subhead: </td><td><textarea name="subhead" cols="40" rows="2"></textarea></td></tr>

<tr><td>Main: </td><td><textarea name="main" cols="40" rows="20"></textarea></td></tr>

<tr><td>Weblink: </td><td><input size="30" maxlength="250" type="text" name="weblink" value="http://"></td></tr>

<tr><td>Date: </td><td><input size="30" maxlength="250" type="text" name="date" value="2007-"></td></tr>

<tr><td>Added by: </td><td><select name="added" size="3">

<OPTION VALUE="Laura Cleaver">Laura</OPTION>

<OPTION VALUE="Stuart Cole">Stuart</OPTION>

<OPTION VALUE="Louise Allatt">Louise</OPTION></select></td></tr>

<tr><td>Approved to go live? </td><td><select name="approved" size="2">

<OPTION VALUE="Y">Yes</OPTION>

<OPTION VALUE="N">No</OPTION></select></td></tr>

<tr><td><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Add News"></td></tr>

</form></table>

Insert 3 is here...

<?php

$con = mysql_connect("localhost","USERNAME","PASSWORD");

if (!$con)

{

die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());

}mysql_select_db("secureitonline_db1", $con);

$sql="INSERT INTO News (Heading, Subhead, Main, Weblink, Date, Added, approved)

VALUES

('$_POST[heading]','$_POST[subhead]','$_POST[main]','$_POST[weblink]','$_POST[date]','$_POST[added]','$_POST[approved]')";if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))

{

die('Error: ' . mysql_error());

}

echo "News Story Added!";

mysql_close($con)

?>

change your code too

<?php
$con = mysql_connect("localhost","USERNAME","PASSWORD");
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
  }mysql_select_db("secureitonline_db1", $con);
  $sql="INSERT INTO News (Heading, Subhead, Main, Weblink, Date, Added, approved)
VALUES
('".$_POST[heading]."','".$_POST[subhead]."','".$_POST['main']."','".$_POST['weblink']."','".$_POST['date']."','".$_POST['added']."','".$_POST['approved']."')";
if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))
  {
  die('Error: ' . mysql_error());
  }
echo "News Story Added!";
mysql_close($con)
?>

you could do with securing your code a bit more also using mysql_real_escape_string() on all $_POST variables which will escape anything like this which can be a security risk.

Regards

Liam

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.