£ in a variable

coops

HI,

I'm doing a simple function retrieve data and export the data into xml, but found out xml does not like all character.  The character I have found are '&','','<','>','£'.  So I have developed a simple function that will replace curtain character within a string with the HTML code that XML likes. '&#38;','&#172;','&#60;','&#62;','&#163;'

It seems to work with all character, but apart from "£" sign.  The only reason is because if i use the below code

while($i < strlen($value)){     

$ia=0;

$sign = $value{$i};

while($ia < count($strarValidation)){

if($strarValidation[$ia] == $sign){               

$sign = $strarNewChar[$ia];

break;

}

$ia++;

}

$endValue.= $sign;   

The value at $sign = $value{$i}; for a £ is the HTML code, not "£".  So the function can't be used...

Does anyone else know of a way that I can stop the "£" converting to the html code when converting the string variable into a array?

Thanks

The code I'm using for the form is

<form onsubmit="return check(this)" action="store.php" method="post" name="fromMain" target="_self" id="fromMain">

<input name="txtCustomerName" type="text" id="0">

and within store.php, I'm using a $_POST to retrieve the string

This will give a value of

The £ sign comes from the form tho and then it goes into the original function (stated at the beginning), but Don't know why its converting the £ to a HTML code when changing the variable to a array..

But if it goes straight to an string and not using the form ITS ALL OK

$value = "£" ;

echo "Size ".strlen($value);

while($i < strlen($value)){     

$ia=0;

echo "<br>".$value{$i};

$++;

}

This will show the correct data

Sadly I need the pound Sing as the function goes through a string to look for character that affecting XML and converts it into the HTML code and then inputs the new string into XML. 

The data comes from a form, using $_POST

so $value = $_POST...

then the $Value is converted to an array $value{}... 

Then it loops around looking for the characters that will affect XML and replace them...

But using $_POST already converts £ and ' ... but does not convert any other character that will affect XML.......

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.