What would this database look like for a custom computer store?

bri0987

I'm in the process of making a "Custom Computer shopping cart"  Much like Alienware or AvaDirect... I am having trouble and I think its because of my database structure.

What I'm looking for is a database structure just like these TWO company Web Sites below:

2 examples:

((

http://www.element-tech.co.uk/build.php?products_id=470

and

http://www.alienware.com/configurator_pages/Aurora_7500_b.aspx?syscode=PC-AURORA-7500-B&subcode=SKU-DEFAULT

))

Currently my database is set up but I suck at structuring the way the tables and are into the database.

Anyone out there have any methods OR tips OR has made a database for this type of project and can tell me what they did.

Any help - I will be grateful.

Thank you.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I have created many e-commerce sites and worked on some theory and what I did was go to the sites and list out the types of information.  Once you collected all of the information that you figured that you needed, start creating your database and normalize your tables.  This process may take some time depending on the information that you want to display to the user.  Another approach you might consider would be asking your friends or co-workers that shop online on what sites they like and dislike so you know a possible angle you may want to pursue.  What your main concern is to break down the site as far as possible because the database is the foundation of any dynamic site and you want that to be very strong so any add ons to a site wont cripple it and the work-a-rounds wont be a hassle.

I hope this helped you out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.