Direct file access.

Aureole

How can I determine a person is directly vising my script. I have a cron job that runs a script every x minutes but I want it so the cron job can run the script but if someone types the url in the address bar it doesn't allow them to run it.

Thanks!

So just put the file outside of your www directory, simply put it in your root and update the cron to run it from there.

If for some strange reason you don't want to do that, put your php file in a different directory, with a .htaccess that says:

deny from all

This way no one will have access to the file using the regular http protocol, only by using FTP, SSH etc. Your cron will be able to run it this way too.

Orio.

I was thinking about CHMOD but I need to have it so the cron job can run the script but no-one else can and the permissions are for 'User, 'Group and 'Others'... right now the CHMOD is 644.

Users can Read and Write. Group can Read and Others can Read.

EDIT: Ok thanks a lot Orio.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.