Checking two tables

boneXXX

Hi , I need a help to check 2 tables if the common column is same then I want to get the data. Such as;

I have a Participant table: Number, Firstname, Surname

and there is a Result table: Number, Min, Sec

I want to get values Min and Sec if Numbers are equal in both table.

$result = mysql_query("select Number,Number from Participant2,Result2 WHERE Participant2.Number =Result2.Number");

I get error with these query.

Thanks for the reply. I did it like this:

SELECT Participant2.Number,Participant2.Number,Participant2.Firstname, Participant2.Surname, Result2.Min, Result2.Sec, Result2.Distance, Result2.Class FROM Participant2,Result2 WHERE Participant2.Number=Result2.Number;

n~ link=topic=163309.msg716017#msg716017 date=1192293624]

select p.Number, r.Number from participant2 p inner join Result2 r WHERE p.Number = r.Number; 

~n[EO]n~,  can you explain this please.. I often run into trouble when relating two tables together and returning data..

Thanks in advance

you cant call  field name as it is when this field is present on the other table  that will cause ambiguous error putting the tablename before your field will solve this issue eg.. tablename.field or use alias like the sample given to you r.field

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.