creating a simple budget form

hausnfranz

Hello all,

I am quite new to PHP, so wanted to get an overview of what it would take to make a simple budget html/php page.  I want to be able to go to a website page and enter in spending for particular budget categories. This means I need to have some total values stored somewhere, then subtract from them when I enter numbers into the textboxes. I would like this information to be always saved, and have a button to reset the totals every month or so.

Do I need to set up a mySQL database for this? Or can I just use php to update a text document that I upload to my site? With the text doc, will the values stay updated when I navigate away from the page?

Thanks for any help.

haus

You could do this with a text document, but depending on the situation you may want to use a database. Is this site going to be ONLY for you, or are multiple people going to be using this? If it's only for a small amount of people, then it would be fine to use a text document if you choose to.

yes, its just for me and my wm6 htcp4350. I haven't really worked with mySQL, apache or php, so I am waying that VS setting this up in a text doc.

Anyone have a helpful tutorial on storing php numbers in a text doc and then differencing and updating the variables based on textfield inputs? :)

Or something similar to set me in the right direction?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.