Im at a loss with a simple download script..

ebizzle

Hi there!

Ok...I am at a loss. I have been trying to find a good resource on how to force a download when someone clicks on a link on my page. Now I am very new to this and im just asking for some basic understanding on how this process works. I guess my problem is I dont even understand the process so I wouldent know what questions to ask. From my research I have think the process involves making a .txt file that has the download instructions saving that file in the same directory as the file you would like to download, and reference that file in your index script so that when I click on a link the browser tells the server to run that script thus starting the download. Please advise I am so frustrated but I dont want to give up. Im sure some of you have been in my shoes. Thanks so much for your advice.

Your friend,

Ebizzle ???

Just upload the file you want people to have to the root folder of your website using your FTP programme or your server control panel.

Then create a link in your HTML editor as normal but put /yourfile.exe after the link.

E.g

Link:

http://www.yourwebsite.com/yourfile.exe (or which ever file format your using)

This will automatically generate a pop-up window asking to run or save when a user clicks the link/button/advert to download the file.

Do you understand what I explained?

This will automatically generate a pop-up window asking to run or save when a user clicks the link/button/advert to download the file.

Do you understand what I explained?

Well, not exactly... some media items like mp3 or mpg will automatically run in the defined player on the user-end. You have to write specific code to force these things to be prompted for saving. I don't know if that's the problem he's having or not, but thought I'd mention it. Obviously .exe, .zip etc will prompt, but some do not (without some coding).

PhREEEk

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.