Replication Server serving SELECT Queries

davidz

I have a master database server that has one slave server replicating.  I have a remote office that only has T1 connectivity to the Master DB.  So when we get lots going on they complain of slowness, and it is pretty bad.  So we are thinking about putting another slave server on their local network, and have that serve the SELECTS and the modifying of data will still have to go to the Master.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience doing something like this?  Or is there a better way to get data to the remote location (cluster, or something)?  How about if the data is changed on the master but has not propagated to the slave, will the user see old data?

Any information would be very helpful.  I've read all the manuals on replication, but I was hoping for a real world point of view.

-David

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.