Trying to add intranet to site, need help with IP blocking

erikblue

ok, so like the subject says i'm trying to add an intranet to a site i'm working on using a  php function to block out any ip addresses i dont want. In this case i want to block out anything that doesn't start with 192.168. To do this i thought that this snippet of code would do the trick, a statement checking the IP, then if it does not begin with 192.168 it would kill it. However, its definitely not working out for me. I'm sure its a simple fix, but i'm not sure where i am wrong at. Thanks in advance to anyone for their help!

if(substr($REMOTE_ADDR,0,7) != "192.168")  exit("Intranet is available to employee's only.");

Is this a true intranet or are you just trying to restrict it to an ip range?

1) The remote address variable can't be trusted.

2) You should limit access to a directory via your webserver, not PHP.

3) If it's an intranet, it should be behind a firewall where the only traffic that can get to it is local... or via some sort of VPN.

Though the poster above is correct...you can try the following:

<?php

$userip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

if(!preg_match('/192.168.[0-9]+.[0-9]+/',$userip)) {
   // Redirect to error
  }

else
    {
      // Load content
    }

?>

P.S Not the most secure way of doing it...just a quick fix to your need :-P

A few things.. first $REMOTE_ADDR can't be trusted but $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] can be.

That variable is set by the web server and the web server had to go through a connection negotiation process before it was ever able to receive the request.

I quickly coded up this to check if the IP address accessing the script is on the same network as that which is defined in the script.

Routers use a similar process when checking IP addresses in order to see where to route the traffic.

<?php

$network = '192.168.1.0';
$subnet_mask = '255.255.255.0';

$net_octet = explode('.', $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);
$mask_octet = explode('.', $subnet_mask);

$result = '';

for ($x = 0; $x <= 3; $x++){
  $result .= bindec(decbin($net_octet[$x]) & decbin($mask_octet[$x])).($x != 3 ? '.' : '');
}

if ($network == $result){
  echo 'The computer is on the same network.';
}else{
  echo 'The computer is not on the same network.';
}

?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.