[SOLVED] [not solved!]shuffle command not working

bozebo

Ok, I have a card game I'm working on, its all fine except the sudden death setting, where the 2 player's cards (10 cards in total) are merged and shuffled then dished out (so, 2 arrays of 5 numbers)

here is the part that is causing problems:

$cards_host_start = array(1,2,3,4,5);
$cards_client_start = array(6,7,8,9,10);

$mixed_cards = array_merge($cards_host_start,$cards_client_start);
$mixed_cards = shuffle($mixed_cards);

for($cardindex = 0;$cardindex <= 4;$cardindex++){
$hostcards_sudden[$cardindex] = $mixed_cards[$cardindex];
}
$hostcards_sudden = implode(',',$hostcards_sudden);

for($cardindex = 5;$cardindex <= 9;$cardindex++){
$clientcards_sudden[$cardindex] = $mixed_cards[$cardindex];
}
$clientcards_sudden = implode(',',$clientcards_sudden);

echo $hostcards_sudden .'<br />'. $clientcards_sudden;

I have stuck it into a test page: http://www.bozebo.com/mixtest/

OK, with that, both arrays are full of null values, so its imploded as just ,,,,.

when I remove the line: $mixed_cards = shuffle($mixed_cards);

the output is the same as the input, which i would expect, because the arrays are just merged then split laboriously.

so.. why isn't shuffle working correctly?

<?php
$mixedcards = shuffle($mixedcards);?>

ehm.. what? thanks for giving me a useless reply, now nobody will help because it has replies...

Was just reading this and thought having never used shuffle() before that I couldn't see why it doesn't work.

So I followed darkfreaks link, and the answer is there for you. Although I did have to scroll down the page to the user notes to find it.

Hint:

This in fact does not work because shuffle returns a boolean true or false. More accurate code using this method would be:

<?php
$mixedcards = shuffle($mixedcards);?>

ehm.. what? thanks for giving me a useless reply, now nobody will help because it has replies...

Was just reading this and thought having never used shuffle() before that I couldn't see why it doesn't work.

So I followed darkfreaks link, and the answer is there for you. Although I did have to scroll down the page to the user notes to find it.

Hint:

This in fact does not work because shuffle returns a boolean true or false. More accurate code using this method would be:

oh? ill take a look

edit:

OH.. I was dumb to not notice that lol. Thanks.. (but darkfreaks' reply wasnt actually any help caus he thought the same thing as me :D)

OH lol.. now i have [sOLVED][not solved!].. ah well

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.