[SOLVED] E-Commerce Help

LemonInflux

Well, I've been doing a job for someone that involves e-commerce. I've set up the shopping cart, that bit was easy. People can add and remove from cart, and check out. However, my problem is in handling the credit card details.

I'm guessing security has to be very tight when handling it (guessing because I'm 14 and don't own a credit card), which, in my opinion, excludes the option of just inserting the data into a database. So, I am thinking of doing it out of the site, with something like PayPal, because I can't think of a secure way of handling them (if they were in a database, anyone with the db password could see all the credit card numbers, and by the looks of it, it's going to be fairly busy). So I was just wondering, how do you set this up. The reason it's in this section, is because I would like to know the coding behind it?

If you handle credit cards, you will need 'reasonable' security features. At a minimum is a secured server environment for the checkout process (HTTPS), and also encryption for the credit card details (if stored in a database or on the server in any form). This is not something I would recommend anything less than a professional scripter get involved with... there are many 3rd party solutions, such as osCommerce, which handle all of this for you quite easily. I've said before that there sometimes is no need to re-create the wheel.

If a company does not take reasonable security precautions, they can easily be held liable in a breach situation. You jump up the 'seriousness' ladder quite a few rungs when you start talking credit card transactions.

You might also want to look into a solution like a Yahoo! Store.

PhREEEk

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.