Too many backslashes

My problem is this.  I have a php page generate a website in html.  The entire website is stored in one variable by the end of it.  At that point I use it to create a new page but at the same time I have to document.write it with javascript.

So I have to go from (as a much smaller example):

$template_merge="<div id=\"1\" name='alpha' onclick=\"myfunction(\\\"1\\\")\">My text</div>\n1";

Then I had to put it into an echo.  So I backslashed what I could.

$template_merge=str_replace("\\", "\\\\", $template_merge);

$template_merge=str_replace("\\\"", "\\\\\"", $template_merge);

$template_merge=str_replace("\"", "\\\"", $template_merge);

$template_merge=str_replace("\n", "\\n", $template_merge);

$newpage="<?php

echo \"" . $template_merge . "\";

?>";

So far so good (I think), but then I needed to modify the file so it acted as a temporary javascript file.  That means that the new page needs to echo a document.write.

$newpage="<?php

echo \"document.write(\\\"" . $template_merge . "\\\")\";

?>";

So the problem is that I don't know what to do to the variable $template_merge to make that last line work.  As is the first quote escapes the document.write, causes an error then , displays the rest of the code incorrectly.  I've been over it again and again but I keep getting lost in the backslashes when I try to replace them and I don't know how to do it.  Is there an easier way to do this or am I just missing something?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.