Color Manipulation

kjanceski

Hi, I have a problem and I'm hoping that someone will help me.

I have an Array with colors in it RGB and want to find value in that Array that is most simular to other predefined color(RGB).

$array[1]="R255 G121 B169";
$array[2]="R212 G100 B123";
$array[n]="R123 G200 B123";

$color="R123 G124 B100";

I want to find color in $array[] that is most similar to $color. I am new to GD2 graphic functions and if u have any suggest please reply. If there is no function in GD2 that can do the job just give me idea for solving the problem.

Well you could always explode the arrays and then check the difference between them.

eg:

$newarray=explode(' ',$array[1]);
$array[1][r]=str_replace("R", "", $newarray[0]);
$array[1][g]=str_replace("G", "", $newarray[1]);
$array[1][b]=str_replace("B", "", $newarray[3]);
$array[1][total]=$array[1][r]+$array[1][g]+$array[1][b];

All in a loop of some kind to isolate the values.  Then you could take the total of the differences of r, g, and b for each color.  I'd go on but I have a feeling there is a better way then comparing 1 to 2, 1 to 3, 1 to n, 2 to 1, 2 to 3, etc then finding the smallest difference.  You could do it that way but it would be a massive loop and I have a feeling that someone may know a better way.

If not then take the total of r g and b and then run it through a loop to find which difference of the total is the smallest making sure that a color can't be compared to itself (I believe that would be the most accurate way).  Again it would work but I feel there is probably a better and easier function to do this that I can't think of at the moment.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.