php and mysql show only from list

soddengecko

hi all

i am calling all data from a database and listing it in a table. The main trouble is that some sections will have a large amount of data in them with different categories. for example, i have a db of mobile phone manufacturers and models. as you can imagine there are a lot of them. so far i have the data paged with 30 results a page and it is all listed in alphabetical order by manufacturer so it is relatively easy to find data if you keep clicking through the lists.

what i would like to do is have a set of links (which i have done using manufacturer as the title). how do i use those links for the following:

if i click on Nokia for instance, how do i get ALL Nokia only phones listed and not show any other data?

it's a good idea. one i have thought about doing. my client is somewhat daft and he has asked for a specific way of doing this.

i see similar things on blogs with the archive sections.  link is created for a given month, clicking it will list all posts from that month so my client is asking me to do the same thing for the app i am building. i have no idea what you would call this function so i am having trouble googling for it.

well the simple way to do it will be to create a php page for every single manufacturer. Then link each manufactuerer to there specific php file. In the php file will be a simple select statement with the manufacturers name in it already .

This is time consuming and as i dont know php well i couldn't suggest a function to do it.

time consumption is not so much of a worry and it is a way of doing it. i would much prefer to have the function auto generate the page etc otherwise i am going to end up with a few hundred pages just to get what i need.

i will keep thinking about it.

anyone else have anything to throw into the mix?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.