This is probably more HTML than PHP, but you guys are pretty on top of things...

kevineugenius

I'm re-vamping a site that I didn't write in the first place, so I'm wondering a couple things...

What is the difference between

< b> < /b> and < strong> < /strong>

< br> and < br />

Also, most of the fonts on the site are created with a <h1> </h1> etc.  Where do you define what those mean?  I assume that strategy is used so that you can change the font on multiple areas of the site with only one actual change to a single file, I just don't know where to do that.

** edit ** I found a .css file that looks like it probably is what dictates the default fonts.  So, I'm just learning this stuff, what would a web host have to have in place to run a .css file?  I have never heard of it before.  I have another site hosted on 1and1.com that I'd like to mimic this style, but I don't know if I have to set anything up first or not.

<h1></h1> basically changes the size of the font. <h1> would be the biggest, and the bigger the number after the 'h', the smaller the font.

Your first question kinda got cut off. I think the HTML got executed instead of being posted as text. Put the tags in between [/code.][./code] without the dots.

You should be able to easily find these answers on google. Go search for a basic HTML tutorial.

The < strong> and < em> tags are "logical" tags. This means that they are used deliberately when the designer wants to add emphasis to particular words or phrases. Some screen readers may use a different inflection when they come across these tags to communicate the emphasis. The < b> and < i> tags are primarily for visual effect on a page when designing layout.

Source: http://www.think-ink.net/html/bold.htm

< br/> conforms to XHTML, as every tag must have an ending.

Sorry, I did a preview post and it looked fine in my browser.  I use IE7, so maybe some of you are on Opera or Firefox?  Anyway, the codes in question are:

<b> vs <strong>

and the other one was answered already.

Anyway, not a big deal, my main question has been answered to I'll just stick to using strong since that's what I'm used to.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.