Run a PHP Script in Crontab

jester626

I am trying to run a PHP Script in a crontab. I have added: #!/usr/local/bin/php -q at the top of the php page/script.  I have also set up the crontab as follows:

00 40 * * * /var/www/the/rest/of/the/path/file.php

This should run the script everyday at 00:40. 

But to no avail. I am using PHP 5.1.6

Any help would be appreciated

Jester

I had the same problem, theirs an easy way to fix this and get the cronjob running.  ;)

change this:

00 40 * * * /var/www/the/rest/of/the/path/file.php

to this:

00 40 * * * php /var/www/the/rest/of/the/path/file.php

Note: you must have a space after the php

Regards ACE

I hate to impose on this thread with a question, but you guys are talking about what I am interested in creating too. I want to be able to create a cron; but I do not have a c-panel on my web host. I tried to open up a notepad file and ad some cron code to it and save it with a ".cron" extension, but this did not work. I do not know anything about crons except what I have been reading about for the past hour. How can I create a cron without c-panel and what extension should I save it as? Is there any thing special I need to set up with my web host to make crons work? Here is the code I put in the text file that I first spoke of.

15 * * * * /usr/local/bin/php -q /10-26-2007.php

I found this code and tried it, but it did not work - any suggestions or answers would be awesome.

What did you use as the first line of your php file?

Did you use #!/usr/local/bin/php -q  ?

Thanks

you don't need anything in the file you are running in the cron, it runs fine without it.

I hate to impose on this thread with a question, but you guys are talking about what I am interested in creating too. I want to be able to create a cron; but I do not have a c-panel on my web host. I tried to open up a notepad file and ad some cron code to it and save it with a ".cron" extension, but this did not work. I do not know anything about crons except what I have been reading about for the past hour. How can I create a cron without c-panel and what extension should I save it as? Is there any thing special I need to set up with my web host to make crons work? Here is the code I put in the text file that I first spoke of.

15 * * * * /usr/local/bin/php -q /10-26-2007.php

I found this code and tried it, but it did not work - any suggestions or answers would be awesome.

I don't know if its possible to run cronjobs without cron in C-panel, I've never heard of it done any other way sorry  :-\

Regards ACE

ok - if I cannot not run crons without C-Panel; is there any way to automate a php script? another member of this forum suggested ajax, but I thought that ajax had to always be executed by client side events. is there a way to automate a php script with ajax; without any interaction with ajax/php script (totally automated timed events - like cronjobs)?

Do you have shell access to your webhost? Meaning can you access it through a terminal window (such as putty)?

If you can access your host via a terminal window then you can try and see if it will let you do a "cron -e"

This may or may not work depending how your hosting provider has configured the domains. I would suggest you contacting them and asking them if it is possible.

Hope this helps,

Jester

Thank For The Help jester626 And MasterACE14

I am only able to access my files directly through my web host file manager (not really like a terminal window software; it's built right into a web page - not really much of a control panel - very basic stuff - may have to upgrade sometime to accomplish cronjobs).

ok - if I cannot not run crons without C-Panel; is there any way to automate a php script? another member of this forum suggested ajax, but I thought that ajax had to always be executed by client side events. is there a way to automate a php script with ajax; without any interaction with ajax/php script (totally automated timed events - like cronjobs)?

their is a PHP function that was suggested to me a while back, called "sleep()" and "usleep()" , look them up at php.net , that could possibly work.

Regards ACE

Create the script on your host and call it from another computer using some kind of scheduler?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.