Simple questions for experienced developers

NFicano

couple questions:

(a) I typically use Dreamweaver (Currently CS3) to develop in (Feel free to recommend an alternative). As I hear from a lot of people, Dreamweaver's FTP is horrible and I completely agree. I like the ability to be able to write couple lines, test it and continue. Many people said to configure a local "test server" and install apache/php/mysql locally. This would be a great solution except most web hosting providers configure PHP differently. (e.g.: some use "safe mode", some support both php4/5 and make you change you file extension accordingly, some have pear disabled or its outdated, etc.) I would really prefer not spending hours writing a custom content management system only to find out most of it is unusable for one reason or another).

(b) I have an ocd-like issue when I develop. I like to feel like I'm following some sort of framework or standard, but there's so many out there, I don't know which is the "best" or most widely used, could one be recommended?

© Is there any common naming convention among php developers? Looking back at scripts I wrote I get disgusted at the inconsistent naming of variables, Anyone have this problem? or just me.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

I would suggest the local server approach. It's really the way to go, for more reasons than I care to spend time posting about... hehe (not to mention how easy it is to setup nowadays!)

If you are making a custom CMS, write for your local server. When you have a working framework, elicit beta testers to start running your code on various platforms/configurations. They will report back to you the problems, and you get to resolve them. That's the way code is properly 'matured', through the process of alpha and beta testing.

PhREEEk

I would suggest the local server approach. It's really the way to go, for more reasons than I care to spend time posting about... hehe (not to mention how easy it is to setup nowadays!)

its really easy, just download WAMP, its a package that installs the whole shebang.

Regards ACE

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.