telecomunications

fonecave

Hi guys!

Its a little bit advanced so way out of my reach,

i want to know if there is a way to send txt messages to mobile phones using my own programming

i know there are programs out the to do it but i dont want to pay for or rely on them?

If anyone has any information please please please let me know!

thank you so much

Andy

Come on... think about it, of course this can not be done with PHP alone. At some point the message has to be transmitted through an antenna to the cellphones and that antenna is with a 100% guarantee not operated by PHP. Already here the "php alone" idea collapses. That antenna / transmitting device is operated by some other software which others are able to communicate with through certain protocols.

So even if you had your own antenna / transmitting device you would need some 3rd party software to operate that and then use your PHP to simply pass "receiver" and "message" along to that software.

Also the telecommunications networks are, at least in Denmark, owned and controlled by a few companies, so if you aren't one of those companies you'll have to strike a deal with one of them about using their network to transmit messages. (It's probably illegal to set up your own antenna even though you in theory could). Striking deals with those companies about using their networks is what those "online text messaging services" does. They do all the hard work and allow you to pass "receiver" and "message" on to them so the message can be sent, for a small amount of money.

Hosting companies which offer "sms email alerts" use such a service or have such a service setup them selves if they are large / rich enough.

The only way you possible could do this your self without using the services offered online by 3rd party companies is to connect your own cellphone with your server via fx. bluetooth and write / obtain some software which will allow you to send text messages via bluetooth and then use PHP to pass "receiver" and "message" along to that software.

i know it cant just be done with php i never said it could i just posted it here cos i didnt know where to put it!

i see sites around tho like www.txtdrop.com that was setup by a young canadian dude

he wouldnt have had the money to do that so there is a way

theres always a way

Okay okay, I had my negative / pessimistic hat on while writing that reply, sorry :)

Of course there is always a way. One of those ways could be to use your own cellphone. Having an subscription with a phone company (what you have in order to send sms, mms and make calls) you already have some kind of a deal which allows you to use someones network. So my guess is you will be able to connect your own cell phone to your own computer and send messages through it. Just like your PDA can connect to the internet through a cellphone.

txtdrop.com does not look like a small project any more since they have widgets for vista, osx, iphone and myspace... the only way I can think of for a private person to setup such a thing (which some dude from Canada might have done) is to use his/her own cellphone.

But you could of course ask him :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.