[SOLVED] Character encoding in PHP & GD2?

helraizer

Hi all,

My Chatbox

I have been working on a dynamic image in GD2 which acts as a chatbox in a forum signature.

It all seems to be working pretty well, but I have come across a bug (of sorts): if the user were to enter characters such as '¬_¬' the result in the image is shown as 'Ž_Ž'.

Is there any way that, using PHP, I can change this so that is actually understands the characters and would print '¬_¬'.?

Hope that makes sense.

Sam

If I use imagestring() I get the same results as you but if I use a truetype font (arial) it works

<?php
$font = 'c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf';
$im = imagecreate (30,20) ;
$bg = imagecolorallocate($im,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF);
$tc = imagecolorallocate($im,0x00,0x00,0x00); 
imagettftext($im,9,0,5,15,$tc,$font,'¬_¬');
imagepng($im);
imagedestroy($im);

?>

The way my Chatbox works in this instance is that when the user submits the data their username, the color of text and the message are all sent to a .line file. Rather than the text just being put in there and then when the dynamic image is produced.

So if I use imagettftext it doesn't work; none of the messages show up on the image.

(if you need code to help you understand, just holler and I'll paste)

Any ideas?

Sam

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.