Database security - probably a stupid question

Masca

I have what is quite probably a stupid question, but I would like some reassurance please!

I have a MySQL database.  My website retrieves data from a couple of tables in this database, but nothing is ever written back to the database via the website (I have no online forms).  My question is, is the data that I place in other tables within the database safe from being viewed by hackers?  The information in these 'private' tables is only for my own use - I simply wish to use the database as a storage mechanism.  However, the data is client sensitive, and I need to be sure that a hacker could not access it.  Is the data safe from hackers purely by the fact that the website code makes no reference to these tables?  If not, is there something else I can do to ensure that the data cannot be viewed by anyone other than me (via Phpmyadmin)?

TIA!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.