[SOLVED] Sending mail

clang

I am trying to use the mail() function. I've got my php.ini file configured to use my current smtp host (Verizon) and I get this error:

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "outgoing.verizon.com" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\www\test.php on line 39

So I'm asking two things.

1) How can I make this work with out using Verizon's SMTP server? The server I am using for this website is a Windows XP machine with Apache as the webserver.

2) Once I have an alternative smtp server option, what is it I need to do to set it up properly?

I need an alternative smtp server because this machine is just a development machine at my house, while the file site is in a colo and isn't connect to verizion or anyone else with a smtp server.

Thanks

Is there a way to setup my own email server and tell the php file to use localhost? The production machine is running Windows 2003 if that makes a difference.

If there is, any suggestion to some free software would be appreciated, although paid is an option.

I would edit my last post if I could, but I can't.

For those that are interested I've found this program /www.postcastserver.com

It's free, easy to install, and works on a bunch of OSs. All you have to do is install it, set it up, and change your PHP.ini file to have the mail smtp server be the ip address of that machine, localhost won't work.

I just tested it out and everything worked great.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.