Reusable frames?

richardterris

Hi all,

Not sure if my Subject field is really the correct term but here's what id like to do: -

I have a fairly image intensive site that im putting together, and i have created a hover image gallery to hold sections of images.

When the user selects an image they are taken to a "drilled down" page, ie a large image, and a description of the image to the left; these are held in seperate containers.

There will be potentially up to 340 images to handle when the site is complete, and so rather than having 340 html pages to display the images, i would like to "recycle" this page, in other words just load each image into that container when an image is selected.

Ive been told by a friend that php is the way to go, and i must admit to having absolutely no php experience at all.

Can this be done?

If my explanation isnt clear, please say and i'll try to further explain what i mean.

Thanks a lot

In answer to your single question : yes

I hope you're not talking about iframes.

You might also want to consider some nifty javascript instead. Google jquery, you might not even need another page ;)

Basically you need to have a unique identifier for each image in question and have the text related to it (probably want a database for this storage). So when you click on your particular image it calls a page like : myimage.php?id=1235 , which is then interpreted by PHP, does the lookup on the database, loads up the information and present it with the html. Simple...

You can do it without javascript to make it a bit simpler.

What would be best is if you created the gallery itself in php, to display the thumbnail images.

To do this, if all your images are stored in the same directory is very simple.

Then you need another page, which can dynamically display any given image and collect the corresponding information for it.

Do you know how to start in php? with the <?php ?> tags.. and how to echo things?

To be honest you don't need mysql for this, but it could be handy.

I've got a script which will output thumbnails of all the images, and create links to open them in a seperate page if you want to have a look at it. Although it doesn't include a description for the images it would be quite simple to implement and I don't mind giving you a hand.

HI mate

thanks for getting back to me again..

Does this mean a seperate page for each image? Thats what i was trying to avoid because at the moment i have 320 images, which would mean 320 pages.

what i need is one page with my container, which ive created, and the ability to use and reuse this page for each image when selected

It would mean one file for the gallery containing thumbnails, and one file to display all of the images. NOT a separate file for each image.

all you need to do is upload all of your images into a directory, which then gets read and creates thumbnails of the images, links them to the image page, which detects what image needs to be displayed and shows it to the user

EDIT: actually, I could knock it down to run off just one file for everything, instead of two if needs be

I dont mind but i am quite keen on learning some php/sql stuff so might not be too bad an idea

www.matthewjamesmenswear.com is what im trying to do

click on coats, and then select the first image of the first gallery

id like the picture to load on the left container and the description to load into the right one

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.