PHP, Google and SQL

karldesign

Depends entirely on your SQL + other system factors such as normal server load.

Normally, yes, your SQL will take longer to run (by 100th's of a second) if you are loading up larger datasets each time.

Ideally you should be restricting this dataset to the bare minimum each time you make a call.

Post any SQL you might be using and i'm sure you we can point you in the right direction for optimising it.

Okey dokey, looks pretty good. At least you have a where clause.

My advice:

1) make sure you specify your columns (SELECT col1, col2, col3...)

2) Put indexes on your int_region and int_status column.

3) If you expect both of those to be utilised consistently together you could consider a composite key of both; (int_region,int_status)

4) Where possible use unique indexes

5) Make sure you have a primary key defined.

6) If in doubt EXPLAIN <yourquery> is your friend.

Okey dokey, looks pretty good. At least you have a where clause.

My advice:

1) make sure you specify your columns (SELECT col1, col2, col3...)

2) Put indexes on your int_region and int_status column.

3) If you expect both of those to be utilised consistently together you could consider a composite key of both; (int_region,int_status)

4) Where possible use unique indexes

5) Make sure you have a primary key defined.

6) If in doubt EXPLAIN <yourquery> is your friend.

Cheers so far, heres where I am at:

1) Is this quicker, even though I'm using 9/10 cols?

2) Not too sure how/what this is?

3) int_region changes often, int_status will always be 1

4) Again, unfamiliar with this

5) Primary key is a unique id

6) Unsure again

1) I heard a rumour a couple of years ago regarding a certain Microsoft product that should you specify all the columns individually instead of using * it would work quicker.

2) Indexes are the crux of databases, without them your SQL queries will do full table scans (basically scanning every row), which is a BAD thing. Think about them as pointers to certain segregations of data.

3) If you have a column (int_status) that will always be 1 then why do you have that column at all?

4) A unique index is an index that can ONLY occur once is the whole table. e.g. you have a row with column `name` and value "joe bloggs". If joe bloggs could only occur once (and the same for all other rows with the name column) then the column `name` should have a unique index.

5) Yes a primary key IS a unique id, however not all unique indexes are primary keys.

6) EXPLAIN is a SQL command, e.g. EXPLAIN SELECT * FROM tbl_places WHERE int_region = 1 AND int_status = 1 ORDER BY dtm_added DESC. Do it and see for yourself ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.