simple dynamic photo gallery

chiprivers

I would like to build a very simple photo gallery script but in a way that I have not used before. I would usually have approached this using a database but to keep it much more simple I just want my script to pick up what ever is in a given folder.

So what I want is a parent folder that holds my photo albums, we'll call this folder 'albums'.  In this folder will be other folders, one for each photo album.  I want my first page script to simplt look inside folder 'albums' and return a list of the folders found.  I can then on this first page display an index of folders.

My second page will be the gallery script that should then look inside the sellected album folder (from inside the 'albums' folder) and return a list of the files inside it.  I can then use this to display my gallery of thumbs.

I am sure this is a very simple process and already in use on many gallery sites.  I am just not sure on how you do the it on looking into the folder and returning the contents?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.