What function do i use for data encyrption and decryption ?

jd2007

There is an extension/module to help with encrypting AND decrypting data. Look into:

The quality of this is relatively low, since any one who could "hack" into your mysql db and read the table data could easily decrypt it with mcrypt. The idea of 2-way encryption just doesn't make sense to me, you encrypt to protect something, not to do magic tricks with it.

The quality of this is relatively low, since any one who could "hack" into your mysql db and read the table data could easily decrypt it with mcrypt. The idea of 2-way encryption just doesn't make sense to me, you encrypt to protect something, not to do magic tricks with it.

I disagree. Someone who could hack to get to your database does not necessarily mean that they have the ability to decrypt the data.

They would have to know which one out of the many ciphers (which some use 256 bit encryption) you used, then cipher mode you used, the initialization vector you used, and your private key/password you used. Granted that these might be available if your not (zend) encoding your scripts or not hiding your key properly.

There are many reasons why you have to have 2-way encryption (i.e. credit card billing).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.