validate.. thing..

kellz

hey.. ok so I have made a small script to make sure that the person submitting is actually a human :-\ (the internet is freaky!) but it's kinda all going to hell and NOT doing what I wanted it to do, so obviously it hates me and doesn't want me to do anything right >:(

srand((double)microtime()*1000000); 
$x=rand(0,10);
$y=rand(0,10); 
$total = $x*$y;
$form = <<<HERE
<form name="form1" method="post" action="">
  <p>Please answer the following question to prove you are HUMAN. <br>
    $y / $x
    <input type="text" name="validate">
     <br>  
    <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit">
  </p>
  </form>
HERE;
print $form;
if (isset($_POST['validate'])) {
    if ($_POST['validate'] == $total) {
        echo "ok your human!";
    } else {
        echo "GO TO HELL BOT!.";
    }
}

It does everything ok up until the point where i answer the sum, even if it's right it still tells me to "GO TO HELL" so I'm guessing that when I do "$total=$x*$y;" it's getting another random number from x & y instead of keeping the set it already had before i did the math.. I didn't know it could do this because that variable (or integer if you like) already has a value, how can it go and get another 1 ? kinda doesn't make much sense.. So yea.. I just need it to WORK and stop telling me to "GO TO HELL" lol ::)

thx :-*

When the user presses the submit button you get a new pair of $x,$y. I think that the best way to keep the old values is by storing them in session variables. Should be something like this:

<?php

session_start();

if ($_POST['validate'] == $_SESSION['xy']) {
        echo "ok your human!";
    } else {
        echo "GO TO HELL BOT!.";
    }
}

$x = rand(0,10);
$y = rand(0,10); 
$total = $x*$y;
$_SESSION['xy'] = $total;

$form = <<<HERE
    $y x $x
     <br>  
  </p>
  </form>
HERE;
print $form;

?>

Also changed the "/" into "x" because that can confuse the user lol

Orio.

P.S.

1) You shouldn't include 0 into your random range.

2) Bots can easily make these maths, that's why this isn't the perfect bot filter....

well $_POST['validate'] is user enter and $total is generated from your code how can a user know whats whats do you know what $total will be when your entering a form?

I guess you never tried it.. it knows because if the random number are like 7 and 8 then it gets the answer and stores it in $total, then the sum "7 * 8" is printed next to the input box so the user simply opens his eyes and looks at the sum and figures it out and puts the answer in the box^^ kinda simple.. simple but doesn't work..

When the user presses the submit button you get a new pair of $x,$y. I think that the best way to keep the old values is by storing them in session variables. Should be something like this:

<?php

session_start();

if ($_POST['validate'] == $_SESSION['xy']) {
        echo "ok your human!";
    } else {
        echo "GO TO HELL BOT!.";
    }
}

$x = rand(0,10);
$y = rand(0,10); 
$total = $x*$y;
$_SESSION['xy'] = $total;

$form = <<<HERE
    $y x $x
     <br>  
  </p>
  </form>
HERE;
print $form;

?>

Also changed the "/" into "x" because that can confuse the user lol

Orio.

P.S.

1) You shouldn't include 0 into your random range.

2) Bots can easily make these maths, that's why this isn't the perfect bot filter....

that looks nice but it does this:

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\test.php:2) in c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\test.php on line 4

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\test.php:2) in c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\test.php on line 4

Well I guess you modified the script or extended it.... Move the session_start() to the first line of the file.

Orio.

it.. modified itself. It works thank you sooo much *hugs* now i can catch those evil bots!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.