[SOLVED] Unique client identifier

markjoe

This can be under PHP and Javascript, but, double posting is a no-no. So it is here only.

I am looking for a way to uniquely identify a client machine either through PHP, or JavaScript or a combination of the two, other than IP and cookies. The point is a free trial with a limited number of uses.

I don't see it as possible, but people here have proven me wrong in the past.

I am not sure but can't you also log the MAC address ?

I know MAC addresses can be spoofed / changed but most people won't do this.

also when they change the NIC they have a new MAC

Maybe a combination ?

Intel and AMD chips also have an Identifier but I am not sure if you can log it.

Another way would be to ask them to fill in an email address where you send a mail to with a link.

in the link you supply a random generated code that you log in a db and everytime the link with this code is used the server logs it and sees if you still have the right to free trials.

if they use a non registered code from the db you deny access.

just an idea

anatak

Another way would be to ask them to fill in an email address where you send a mail to with a link.

in the link you supply a random generated code that you log in a db and everytime the link with this code is used the server logs it and sees if you still have the right to free trials.

if they use a non registered code from the db you deny access.

And what's going to stop them from using multiple email addresses?

I am not sure but can't you also log the MAC address ?

I know MAC addresses can be spoofed / changed but most people won't do this.

also when they change the NIC they have a new MAC

Maybe a combination ?

Intel and AMD chips also have an Identifier but I am not sure if you can log it.

I don't think so...

PHP can definetly not get the MAC address. I was hoping there was some weird way for Javascript to get it.

If I really want to do the automated free trial, I may have to require the user to run an app on their machine to request the free trial access. The client app would get some unique info, including but maybe not limited to the MAC address, and send it in the request. From the user POV, I wouldn't like that at all.

Or, possibly, work it off email, emails include all kinds of info in the headers.

Or, most likely to happen, handle free trail requests manually, if I offer them at all.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.