Undefined index

june_c21

i encounter this problem when i trying to run the php scripts. what's wrong?

for($i=1;$i<9;$i++)

{

$eq_id[$i] = $i;

$var1 = $i . "equipment";

$equipment[$i] = $_POST[$var1];

$var2 = $i . "viscosity";

$viscosity[$i] = $_POST[$var2];

$var3 =  $i . "water";

$water[$i]  = $_POST[$var3];

$var4 =  $i . "tan";

$tan[$i]    = $_POST[$var4];

$var5 =  $i . "oil";

$oil[$i]    = $_POST[$var5];

$var6 =  $i . "wear";

$wear[$i]    = $_POST[$var6];

$var7 =  $i . "remarks";

$remarks[$i]  = $_POST[$var7];

}

the red one is the error

Try the following code instead, don't need to use $i for the array indexes :-o (it automatically indexes if you use just empty brackets, like so)

for($i=1;$i<9;$i++)
  {
  $eq_id[] = $i;
  $equipment[] = $_POST[$i."equipment"];
  $viscosity[] = $_POST[$i."viscosity"];
  $water[] = $_POST[$i."water"];
  $tan[] = $_POST[$i."tan"];
  $oil[] = $_POST[$i."oil"];
  $wear[] = $_POST[$i."wear"];
  $remarks[] = $_POST[$i."remarks"];
  }

Try the following code instead, don't need to use $i for the array indexes :-o (it automatically indexes if you use just empty brackets, like so)

There is a purpose to defining an index, if you are to resort the array you can resort by your defined indexing (as it will carry the indexes with the new sort)

still having the same problem

Notice Undefined index: 1viscosity in C:\Web\lubrication1\add_phase2.php on line 15

Notice: Undefined index: 1water in C:\Web\lubrication1\add_phase2.php on line 16

Notice: Undefined index: 1tan in C:\Web\lubrication1\add_phase2.php on line 17

Notice: Undefined index: 1oil in C:\Web\lubrication1\add_phase2.php on line 18

Notice: Undefined index: 1wear in C:\Web\lubrication1\add_phase2.php on line 19

Notice: Undefined index: 1remarks in C:\Web\lubrication1\add_phase2.php on line 20

still having the same problem

Notice Undefined index: 1viscosity in C:\Web\lubrication1\add_phase2.php on line 15

Notice: Undefined index: 1water in C:\Web\lubrication1\add_phase2.php on line 16

Notice: Undefined index: 1tan in C:\Web\lubrication1\add_phase2.php on line 17

Notice: Undefined index: 1oil in C:\Web\lubrication1\add_phase2.php on line 18

Notice: Undefined index: 1wear in C:\Web\lubrication1\add_phase2.php on line 19

Notice: Undefined index: 1remarks in C:\Web\lubrication1\add_phase2.php on line 20

Ok, those are the post variables. Where are you getting the post variables from, cause I'm a bit scared of a form that submits well over 50 variables through the post method at once xD

<?php

$host = 'localhost';

$user = 'root';

$password = 'admin';

$dbase = 'oil';

$dblink = mysql_connect($host,$user,$password);

mysql_select_db($dbase,$dblink);

echo "<form id=form1 name=form1 method=post action=add_phase2.php>";

echo "<table border=3 align=center width=80%>";

echo "<tr><td width=16% align=center><span class=style5>Equipment </td></span><td width=12% align=center><span class=style5>Viscosity</td></span><td width=12% align=center><span class=style5>Water Content</td></span><td width=12% align=center><span class=style5>TAN</td></span><td width=12% align=center><span class=style5>Oil Cleanliness</td></span><td width=12% align=center><span class=style5>Wear</td></span><td align=center><span class=style5>Remarks</td></span></tr>";

$query = "SELECT eq_id, equipment FROM equipment WHERE gf='2' " ;

$result = mysql_query($query, $dblink);

while($myrow = mysql_fetch_row($result))

{

echo "<tr><td><span class=style2>" . $myrow[1] . "</span></td>";

echo "<td><div align=center><input name=" . $myrow[0] . "viscosity type=text size=1 /></div></td>";

echo "<td><div align=center><input name=" . $myrow[0] . "water type=text size=1 /></div></td>";

echo "<td><div align=center><input name=" . $myrow[0] . "tan type=text size=1 /></div></td>";

echo "<td><div align=center><input name=" . $myrow[0] . "oil type=text size=1 /></div></td>";

echo "<td><div align=center><input name=" . $myrow[0] . "wear type=text size=1 /></div></td>";

echo "<td><textarea name=" . $myrow[0] . "remarks cols=20 id=remarks></textarea></td></tr>";

}

echo "<div align=center><span class = style6>Phase 2</span></div>";

echo "<br>";

echo "<div align=center><input type=submit name=Submit value=Submit /></div>";

echo " <span class=style2> Month <input name=month type=text id=month size=8/></span>";

echo "</table>";

echo "</form>";

if your lost then don't try and help, you will need to show what these outputs, also if you are pulling dynamic fields off a database with dynamic names (not exactly ideal) then you will need to consider this in the process page

No, I said I'm lost on what the outputs of those variables are supposed to be. And as far as dynamic content, I agree... I mean, you don't know exactly how many rows you'd be returning (unless it was index, unique) or there was a LIMIT attached to the end, etc... or of course, you use mysql_num_rows for that matter.

You can translate this as "POST variable 1viscosity was not sent to the script"

Note that that's only accurate for your script, it's not a general translation for "undefined index".  So you need to work out why it's not sent.  The best way to work that out is to look at the generated form, which is what the others are asking for.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.