Automated way to track bounce backs?

rhiane

Hey there, I am in the process of building a newsletter distribution system.  What I want to be able to do is track the emails that are faulty and have been bounced back to the server.  I know that by using "-f webmaster@evolution.tv" in the additional_parameters successfully sends back an email saying that the email could not be recieved.  The issue here is that then each failure email must be opened manually.  Is there any way to track automatically that emails have bounced back?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help,

R.

just add a web-bug to your newsletter (ie. a hit counter); this way you will know if the email address is active or the email is being opened or if the email address is being spammed.

this is what I do with my newsletters.

Thank you for the suggestion, but it has already been implemented.  The web bug exists and can therefore track when the email has been opened.  Thing is, I was looking for something more specific to tell exactly, if the email is bogus or not and can henceforth refrain from sending anything to that address in the future.  See where I'm coming from?  Is it at all possible to do this?

You can't facilitate that information out of no where.  What I am saying is php doesn't have an error handler for messages, there might be some sort of header you can use that says if message don't send do something, but I don't know of one.  However some servers will report an invalid address (like if you gmail a non existent account you get a return of unexistent account), but really on your end you can't do much

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.