Would PHP and MySQL be the best for this type of application?

nscherneck

Hello,

I have a fair amount of PHP experience and a bit of MySQL.  I've thinking about rebuilding (from scratch) an estimating system used by the company i work for.  The system is Microsoft Access / VB based and linked to Timberline accounting software.  Its slow, unreliable, and ugly.  Now, although my knowledge is limited, i know that PHP and MySQL are capable of everything the existing system is doing.  But my question is: Is redesigning this estimating system to run in a web browser by way of PHP and MySQL the ideal? 

The program is used to estimate electrical projects using a parts database, assembles poposals, and of course archives.  It's used for about 20 projects per week and would need to archive nearly all projects.  Am i headed down the right path using PHP and MySQL or should i look into C++ and VB for this type of program?

Thank you,

Nathan

I think the major part of the project is the code conversion, as you'll be moving from a stateful (VB) desktop environment to a stateless web environment. Although if you just ditch the VB code and start from scratch i gues you can design it however you want.

The first process in your changeover should be to convert the database. This should be a relatively simple job as you can just dump the database in SQL text format and reimport it into MySQL (with some minor alterations I expect). Or maybe you want to restructure the database entirely (depending on current flaws).

Also to make this a nice staged change you could alter the VB code to utilise MySQL first, then develop your PHP app while your VB system runs from the new database system.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.