login thing

kellz

hey..

I'm making a kinda thing that people use to login to websites..like yahoo but much MUCH more crappy lol

so here it is:

if (isset($_POST['Submit']) ) {
    if (isset($_POST['name']) && isset($_POST['pass'])) {
    $name = $_POST['name']; $pword = $_POST['pass'];
        $lines = file('np.txt');
        $data = array();
        foreach ($lines as $line) {
        $data = explode(':', $line);
            $user = $data[0]; $pass = $data[1];
		if ($user == $name && $pass == $pword) { echo 'logged in!'; } else { echo 'user name and/or password incorrect'; }
		unset ($data[0]);
            unset ($data[1]); 
        }
    }
}

the format of the file np.txt is like this:

kelsey:password
user2:lalalala
user3:helloworld

but it all messes up and says i am logged in AND im not logged in at the same time with whatever username or password i used. But it's weird because if i leave only 1 line in the np.txt file it all works.. I guess it's the array so I tried unset (not really knowing 100% why i tried it) but I did lol and that done nothing.

Eugh, flat files.

Anyways,the problem is that you cotinue to look through the loop, even after finding a correct username and password. Imagine it in your head: We loop through line by line. The first time, we check and find a matching username and password - great, so we echo 'logged in'. However, the loop keeps running. It runs again, and the user/password doesn't match - so we echo the failure. And so on.

Try:

<?php
	$lines = file('np.txt');
	$data = array();
	$loggedin = false; //so far, we've not found a match so the person isn't logged in
		if ($user == $name && $pass == $pword){
			echo 'Logged in!';
			$loggedin = true;//now we've found a match - the person's login details are correct
			break;//break out of the foreach loop - we dont need to look any further
		}
	}
	if($loggedin === false){//lets check if their details were correct
		echo 'user name and/or password incorrect';
	}
}
}
?>

ok i tried it a different way and it doesnt work and makes me mad! lol it (i thought) does the same thing but shorter:

<?php
        $lines = file('np.txt');
        $data = array();
		if ($user == $name && $pass == $pword){
			echo 'Logged in!';
			break;//break out of the foreach loop - we dont need to look any further
		} else { 
		    echo 'user name and/or password incorrect';
		}
	}
    }
}
?>

why doesn't that work? it breaks the loop like you said... and what does "===" mean ???

Using your current code, we run into the same problem as before. Imagine that we are the user who is second in your file. The first time the loop runs, we see the error message. The second time the loop runs, we see the logged in message, followed by the break in the loop.

With this sort of method, you have to only throw an error after testing all of the data.

As for ===, it is the 'identical to' comparison operator. This means it only evaluates to true if the two things being compared are both equal and of the same type. The standard == equality comparison operator checks value only. For example:

<?php
$var1 = 0;
$var2 = '0';
if($var1 == $var2){
//TRUE 0 is the same as 0
}
if($var1 ===$var2){
//FALSE whilst 0 is the same as 0, one of our variables is a string, the other an integer.
}
?>

The reason why i used the === operator in the code is more habit than anything. I tend to use the identical comparison operator when dealing with booleans (true/false). A standard == operator wouldn't have affected the running of the code in the example i gave.

Edit: By way of explaining the need for the 'identical to' operator, see the example here on the use of the strpos() function

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.