Comparing Database data and new data help

SiriusB

I am trying to create a PHP script that reads in a file, parses it for the data I want and compares it to the data I have in a database.

The data is points and ranking information for a Folding@Home Team.  Every week someone creates a news item with points gained by each team member for that week and other info.  This is done manually and takes a lot of time.  I hope for my script to automate as much of it as possible.

The script was to run as follows:

Download and parse latest statistics into 2D array

Compare usernames in array to usernames held in Database

Any new usernames and their respective points/rank to be added to database

Compare points in 2D array of each user to those held in database.

Output username and points gained

I thought I had a working script until I actually tested it on real data, and realised I missed something rather obvious - the order of usernames from the parsed file is not going to be the same order as in my database - due to people moving up and down the ranks.  So i can't just get a recordset from the db and run a simple loop to compare it to the parsed data.

I am not sure how to go about comparing the database information with the parsed data that works around the fact the data could be in any order.  The only thing i can think of is:

foreach item in $parsed_data_array

query database for $parsed_data_array=>username

if(number of results == 0)

build new insert query for current username

else

continue

I don't know if this works [haven't tested yet] but I can't help feel it is a little DB intensive.  There could be up to 200 queries being sent to the database.  This can be minimized by adding extra criteria, like ignoring inactive users of course.  Is this a viable solution or is there a much better way of doing this?

Sorry if anything is unclear.  Just ask and I will explain further if required.

This forum is designed to be used for help with a specific coding question/error.  To me it looks as though you need something developed from the ground up.  I would either work on some of the code and post it on here to ask follow up questions or would look into the other sections of the forum where you can hire a developer.

I am not asking for this thing to be done for me.  At no point did I ask for that nor did I imply it.  I haven't even asked for any specific code.

Read my post again.  I asked a specific question about how best to compare a recordset from a database with data parsed from a file.  I even gave pseudo-code as to the solution I thought of and have asked if this is a good way of doing it.  If not, what is the alternative?

I only mentioned the purpose of the script to give a background to my problem and why I need to do what I am asking for. 

I appreciate your input, but in this case you have made an incorrect assumption.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.