[SOLVED] Stupid "smart" quotes rendered as ?

I've recently moved a friend's site from a shared server at pair Networks to a VPS I manage. With the exact same code, certain entities, such as MS Word "smart" quotes render correctly on the pair server, but appear as ? on my server.

Example:

pair: Salai Tun Than’s passport cancelled

mine: Salai Tun Than�s passport cancelled

In both cases PHP is running as an Apache module, versions are nearly the same (5.2.4 @ pair, 5.2.5 @ mine), and I've enabled the same extensions as pair on my PHP build. I know how to fix this problem by changing the PHP code of the site, but that is not an option (not my site).

When I view the example above in phpMyAdmin (2.11.2) on my server everything looks fine. Anyone have any idea how I can make these characters render correctly on the site by modifying the PHP, Apache, or MySQL configuration?

Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.