[SOLVED] pretty simple question

killerchutney

Hello, first off I am very new with PHP, but have alot of experience in similar languages such as pawn (very similar syntax from what ive seen of PHP).

Ok, as you may have guessed from the subject I need to get the URL of the current page from an include.

http://www.killerchutney.com/lol.php (aptly named ) is the page I need to detect the URL of. header.php is included in that page. For asthetical reasons header.php contains the PHP script. From using the PHP documentation, and a tutorial site I have this in a part of header.php:

<div <?php
function getpage() {
	$this_page = $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];
		return $this_page;}

if (getpage() == 'index.php'){
	echo ('id="content"');}

elseif (getpage() == 'lol.php'){
	echo ('style="background-color:#ff00f6;"');}

elseif (getpage() == '/templates/header.php'){
	echo ('style="background-color:#3cff00;"');}

else{ echo ('style="background-color:#000000;"'); }?>>

it works fine, but as this is located in header.php, it always detects header.php - I need it to detect the main URL - the URL of lol.php (the page header.php is included in)

is there any way to do this? Thanks.

When you include a file, what effectively happens is that all of the code inside the included file is dumped inside the file doing the including. Therefore, you need to place this line:

$this_page = $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];

Before the include is done, and take it out of header.php

Ok, as you may have guessed from the subject I need to get the URL of the current page from an include.

We're supposed to guess that question from the subject 'pretty simple question'? You might be clairvoyant - im not though.

thank you, that did the trick :D

but the subject name was called something relevant before I edited it - I saw questions with names like 'plz help' that were posted about 30 minutes AFTER my post, and still solved when I had only like 3 views. So, for some reason I thought to change the name to follow those  requests.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.