Query runs multiple times under heavy server load.

Redback

I have been having an issue with some MYSQL queries running multiple times when the server is under a heavy load. 

Example, if I do an 'update Table1 set item1 = 0 where 1 = 1'

This runs fine under normal conditions, but will repeat itself multiple times when the server is under load.  Is this just an optimization or server resource issue.  If so, I would assume the query would just timeout and not run at all instead of running a few times.

Is it coming up in the MySQL slow query log?

Have you seen the running process happen multiple times?

Is the PHP script processing this statement more than once?

Is the table you're working with locked at the time?

How do you know it's running more than once?

What IS the actual SQL you're running? It might give us a more of an idea why it's running slowly or repeating.

Yes, it is coming up on the MySQL slow query log.

The php script has a select and update statement.  The select statement must scan over 1/2 million records before the update is executed based on the select results.  WHat is happening is that before this php script finishes it will start again so then I will get 2 updates.  This only happens when the server is under heavy load.  Under normal operating conditions this script runs fine.

I know it is running more than once because I can view the 2 different update results when the cron was only run one.

You mentioned you would like the SQL version so you could get some insight on why it is running slowly.  This brings in my question.  Can a slow query cause problems like this?  If so, is there a variable in MYSQL that determines how long a query has to complete before it will attempt again?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.