[SOLVED] Apache problem... can't edit thru mapped drive without freezing browser.

mdbrim

Here's a strange one that is hopefully an easy fix that i'm missing.

Running Apache 2.2 and Tomcat 5.5 on Vista Home Premium.

Setup went fine, and pages from both apache and tomcat run great and are viewable to world.

However, when i use my main computer (XP) and edit any of the files on the Vista machine thru a mapped drive, that page won't reload and causes my browser to stop responding.  Every other page on server works fine, just the page that i edited won't come up.  Only thing that seems to fix it is to restart the apache service on the Vista machine.

If I Remote into the Vista machine (thru Radmin), i can edit pages freely and refresh webpages and all works fine.  It's only when editing thru the network connection (mapped drive).

Does it have something to do with the cache? or maybe the edited page can't be released while it is open thru a network drive.  I never had this problem with my old setup (XP and XP) so my guess is either i missed an option in the setup files or Vista is causing a problem...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Well looks like i fixed it.  I'll post what i did in case any one comes across this thread and has same problem.

After discovering that not only did the recently edited files not load... half of my original pages didn't even load!

On a whim i tried the following and it fixed it... (for now it seems to be working great)

In order to poke a hole in the firewall to let requests to server get thru, you go to the firewall settings in vista.

I had used "add program" and pointed to the httpd.exe file in apache/bin/ folder.

erasing that and just using "add port" and unblocking port 80 seems to have fixed all my problems.

i'll take it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.