Keep socket connection alive between scripts

estero2002

Hi, I have this situation.

I'm writing a PHP site with several pages. Almost all of them need to connect to a server to get some data from it and show it to the client. This connections are made with sockets. Sockets are encapsulated in a class Socket, so, when a page loads, a new Socket object is is created. It connects to the server, gets the data and then, when the script finish executing, I understand PHP cleans the object and close the connection.

The problem is that I don't think is a good idea to be opening and closing connections every time a page is loaded. That is why I was wondering how to keep just one socket connection opened and use it from all pages. I know this can't be done with a session variable because resources can't be stored. Any other options? A global varialbe maybe?

Thanks in advance,

Steven

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.