How to create Course Index w/ JS & Cookies

annaf1973

Hello everyone.....

I am trying to tackle an issue, and am looking for guidance. :)

I am attempting to create a course index that has 5 assignments.  Within the assignments are 5 sub-assignments.

These 5 sub-assignments must be completed in order for the parent assignment to be marked "Complete".

Assignments 1-4 must be completed before Assignment 5 is made available.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this?  The course is going into an LMS system that requires all functions be performed on the client-side so PHP, SQL or similar is out.  So my thought was Javascript and cookies. 

Could a cookie be assigned to each "Sub-assignment" page, and then a function reside on the main Assignment index that would look for the sub-assignment cookies, and if they exist, mark the "Assignment" complete?

And could a function be assigned to the "Sub-Assignment" index page that if all 5 "sub-assignments are complete, a cookie is created for that page, that again, on the "Assignment" page, a function checks for all 4 of the "Sub-assignment" index page cookies and if they exist, opens up Assignment 5?

First, would this work?  Second, I don't know much about JS and I do think this is pretty complex, so how should I go about this?  Or third, is there an easier way to do this? ;)

I appreciate any thoughts or ideas on this.....

Thanks!

Anna

your going to need server side (like PHP & MySQL or what ever you can get to work on your LMS system) and a database to do this. javascript is just client side and even if you could accomplish this with just javascript; so one with a little bit of knowledge about javascript could go to the next assignment, without first completing the previous assignment. also client side cookies can be forged.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.