[SOLVED] calculating time?

Crew-Portal

Okay I got a small delema for you guys. When I get time from a video game it has the time syntax like 0D 0H 0M and it can hold data up to 23D 23H 59M. So how would I take that type of syntax and take only the H and M time variables and put it into a database called Minutes & Hours. Dont worry about the Day datatype because no-one will spend 1 day in a game unless thier idleing which would be cheating...

So take 0D 14H 42M and put it in 2 colums in a database the one bing Hours And THe Other Being minutes. I think theres an explode and implode statements in ther but I have no idea on how to do it! Thanks in advance...

sorry for being dumb but the syntax

<?php

$date = "23D 23H 59M";

list($d,h,m) = explode(" ", $date);
$d = rtrim($d, "D");
$h = rtrim($h, "H");
$m = rtrim($m, "M");

echo $d." ".$h." ".$m;

?>

Well the echo statement will be 23 23 59

and I can insert the hour into colum hour with the variable $h and minutes with the variable $m? I think Im right but just to make sure I understand fully.

It's easier to use PCRE. Example:

<?php

$strData = '0D 14H 42M';

if (preg_match('/(\d{1,2})H.+?(\d{1,2})M/i', $strData, $arrMatches)) {
$intHours   = $arrMatches[1];
$intMinutes = $arrMatches[2];
} else { // No match
$intHours   = 0;
$intMinutes = 0;
}

echo 'Hours: ', $intHours;     // Will display 14
echo 'Minutes: ', $intMinutes; // Will display 42

?>

Ya the only thing is that there can either be 1 or 2 numbers in each variable like it can be 1 hour or 11 hours not 01 and 11. Thats why I think the first one will work the best!

The "{1,2}" notation in the PCRE I posted handles what you mention above.

It's sometimes best to extract data than to strip away data, which is what my code does (extract the hours and minutes you need).

EDIT:

Dragen understands. :)

Using str_* functions is always more efficient than using regex. At least that what the manual suggests.

Orio.

Yes, agreed, however, sometimes calling one PCRE function is better than having several lines of code that call several functions (which may not be in the end that efficient either).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.