[SOLVED] New to PHP and need help with a simple project

chrisgibson

Ok I am completely new to PHP and literally started using it about a week ago.  I have searched and searched on google about this and everything I read goes way over my head.  I am doing a project for a class where we are setting up a LAMP server.  Then we are to make a table in MySQL and use a PHP page to access the table in the database and display information for different group members.  I have made the table and made an index.php page and was able to get a query to the database and print the results when I hardcoded the SQL statement.  However I was wanting to be able to use a drop down list with the names of my group members(hard coded) and be able to place that name in the SQL statement by hitting a submit button.  This is where I am stuck.  I have made a list box by adding the following HTML to the page:

<select name="Members">

<option>Chris Gibson</option>

<option>Nick Carden</option>

<option>Jake Johnson</option>

</select>

Then I make a database connection to MySQL with the following:

<?php

$dbhost = '192.168.1.127'

$dbuser = 'root'

$dbpass = 'password'

$conn = mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass) or die ('Error connecting to MySQL');

$dbname = 'groupmembers';

mysql_select_db($dbname);

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * from members WHERE name=Chris Gibson");<-I would like for "WHERE name=$someVariable" to be dynamic and $someVariable to be obtained from the drop down list

$info = mysql_fetch_array($query);

echo $info['name'] . "<br>":

echo $info['address'] . "<br>":

echo $info['city'] . "<br>":

echo $info['state'] . "<br>":

echo $info['zip'] . "<br>":

echo $info['phone'] . "<br>":

mysql_close($conn)

?>

When I use that code it will print out my information stored in the members table of the groupmembers database.  So essentially what I need to be able to do is select the name of a member from a dropdown list.  Place that name in a variable or direct the SQL statement to the drop down list value that is selected.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Change your HTML:

<select name="Members">
                <option value="Chris">Chris Gibson</option>
                <option value="Nick">Nick Carden</option>
                <option value="Jake">Jake Johnson</option>
</select>

So if we selected "Chris Gibson", the php variable $_POST['members'] would be "Chris".

Also, you are using the dropdown menu in a form right? And are you getting the $_POST or $_GET vars? I must ask this because I cant see in the code you posted.

Without a form, how would you pass the variable? :)

I am not using it in a form and I am guessing from your post that I should be.  That is also new to me and I hate to ask how to do that but could you elaborate on that a bit more?  I will go and change the HTML and put it under neath the php code

Ok the HTML now looks like this and it is underneath the PHP code:

<form action="index.php" method="post">

<select name="members">

<option value="Chris">Chris Gibson</option>

<option value="Nick">Nick Carden</option>

<option value="Jake>Jake Johnson</option>

</select>

<input type=submit /> <--I added this for the submit button

</form>

I also added the following PHP code under the line where it sets the password ($dbpass = 'password';):

$name = $_POST['members'];

I read that tutorial and it makes more sense than it did.  Tell me if this is what I should have gotten from that tutorial.  We need a form to take in the user inputs and send the inputs to a processing page?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.