[SOLVED] NEED CROPPING RESOLUTION HELP

HYE

Hi,

For my website, I want people to upload their picture, then crop it to a given size and then print it.

Everything is working but the quality of the cropped pictures is very bad (234x99px @ 72dpi)

I do get the original picture and the cropped picture from the server so I can manage to crop the same area from the original picture but I need to have this done kinda automatically, as I can't deal with it if it's for a dozen or more pictures... (too much time and risk of mistakes..)

I am trying to find a way to not loose quality when cropping.

The original pictures are downsized to 400 pixels to fit the preview page and cropping tool.

Would there be a way to higher the resolution proportionally when shrinking the image or maybe copy or mirror the cropped zone to the original picture?

On the sample picture, you can see the picture reduced to 400 px to fit, with the cropping rectangle in the center (movable).

Please, I NEED HELP !!!

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

When I did cropping for a Site I work on, I took the original image and created a reduced image to fit in a layer 400x400 (thought it was funny you picked the 400 value also). So i note the size difference from original size and new image smaller image to fit in 400x400 box. When the set the crop within the smaller images, I then do the math to equate what that crop would be sized on the original large image and then send the big image and new new crop values to ImageMagick and let it crop. The result is an images cropped based on what they wanted (percentage wize, in the crop window).

Thanks BeninBlack,

This could work, but, can this be done automatically?

Also, pictures comes in different sizes... Basically, I am trying to avoid manual handling because of crop accuracy issue and the time it will take.

I am desperately looking to retrieve these cropped files from a folder, ready to go (high or decent res, from the original).

Any other suggestions? Would Flash or an other program handle my need better?

Thanks again

Cool, but could you please be more specific as in for the steps...

Random size pictures are uploaded, and need to be cropped to 1 size (here 234x99 from a 400 pixel image review).

I get 2 images (1 original and 1 low res)

Do i go from there or i need to fix something before that?

Looking forward for your help.

Thanks a million

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.