[SOLVED] Invoice number with MySQL and Php ... Hmmm.

bri0987

Okay here I go:

I have a custom built shopping cart. After the customer checks out, I inserting the order information into the MySQL Database.

The fields I have are:

ORDER_ID >> (auto_increment filed)

Orderstatus_ID (the status)

Invoice_Num (THE PROBLEM!!!!)

Customer_ID (Customer info)

Product_ID (What they ordered)

Component_ID (options for what they ordered)

Order_Date >> (Time stamp)

IP_Address  >> (the customers IP address, just incase of a hack or something, I thought it would be good)

I need the invoice number to be at least 6 digits long (at least)

I tried doing auto_increment on the Invoice_Num field but MySQL says only one auto increment field for just one table, and Order ID is already set to use the auto increment

I dont care how many digits is in the Invoice number but I wanted to stay away from random numbers just because there is a small chance of getting the same random number.

How can I auto increment the Invoice_Num field in this table or use some sneaky php code to get around it:

Thanks for reading

BRI

Okay I figured that part out but know I have a new problem.

In the THANK YOU PAGE for the customer I have to give them the Order/invoice number.

I could get the most recently made ID from the database and display it to them but that would cause some BIG problems if there are a few hundred people on the web site at one time and ordering products.

So my question is:

How can I get the ID for the information as the same time I insert the data?

(I hope I asked that right)

Thanks

BRI

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.