[SOLVED] Conditional structures

odisey

Hello,

I am wondering about conditional structures and the depth of nesting allowed, if at all.  For example I know I can do this:

If ()

{

if () 

{  Do this  }

else

{ Do this  }

}

else

{

Do this

}

}                  Is this OK to do?  If yes, how deep can one go ?

Marc

I am reading David Power's PHP Solutions and I am absolutely sure he stated "You can use as many if else statements as you like, just don't nest them.  I am looking for the page to re-read it as I though this is the problem I am having with a block of code.  So...other nested blocks I have, and example I have are nested...I am not sure why he said that..maybe I misread.  I am looking for it again...   

Marc 

I am reading David Power's PHP Solutions and I am absolutely sure he stated "You can use as many if else statements as you like, just don't nest them.  I am looking for the page to re-read it as I thought this is the problem I am having with a block of code.  So...other nested blocks I have, and example I have are nested...I am no sure why he said that..maybe I misread.  I am looking for it again...   

Marc 

PLEASE DELETE DOUBLE POST

like i said you can use it if you really needs it but nested ifs is very hard to maintain and very hard to read

so avoid it if you can avoid them but if the situation ask for it then theres no way for you to avoid it..

maybe instead of having tons of ifs inside your ifs you can replace them with switch for better readability of your codes

like i said you can use it if you really needs it but nested ifs is very hard to maintain and very hard to read

so avoid it if you can avoid them but if the situation ask for it then theres no way for you to avoid it..

maybe instead of having tons of ifs inside your ifs you can replace them with switch for better readability of your codes

I'm considering this.   I already coded a page of 45 questions with multiple checks, etc...  it is 7000 lines of code.  I need to add one more check to the lot...I got it installed and it works.  I just lost functionality of the inner most if statement.  I will re-evaluate the structure again .. looks like it should execute. 

I found the Power's statement.  Actually he said you can embed as many blocks of PHP into xhtml as you like ...  just don't nest them.  I mis-remembered-intrepreted-read what I read. 

OK  - Thank you for the feedback

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.