[SOLVED] problem with combination of substr/strpos when searching for string.

Bramme

Okay, I'm building my own little CMS for later use, meanwhile experimenting a little with classes etc. I have a folder which contains "module" files, each file will have specific functionalities, like a file content.php to edit the content of the site, a blog.php to edit a blog etc.

Now I'm writing a function that reads those files from their directory and checks the file for certain strings: a php comment that indicates it's an actual module file and then 3 xml-like tags that define the name of the module, an abbreviation to use in the url's and what items it should list in a subnav.

For example, content.php looks like this:

<?php
/* Modular Module */
/** Properties
<cat>content</cat>
<name>Content</name>
<subnav>'Add, Edit, Delete page'</subnav> 
*/

my php functions work like this:

$k = 0;
while (false !== ($file = readdir($handle))) {
	$modContent = file_get_contents($this->modulesDir.$file);
	if($this->EvalFile($file)) {
		if($this->isModule($modContent)) {
			$this->modules[$k]['filename'] = $file;
			$this->modules[$k]['name'] = $this->GetModuleProperty($modContent, 'name');
			$this->modules[$k]['navcat'] = $this->GetModuleProperty($modContent, 'cat');
			$this->modules[$k]['subnav'] = $this->GetModuleProperty($modContent, 'subnav');
		}
	} 
$k++;
}

The getmodule property is the one that goes looking for what's between the tags:

private function GetModuleProperty ($content, $tag) {
$startTag = '<'.$tag.'>';
$endTag = '</'.$tag.'>';
$start = strpos($content, $startTag) + strlen($startTag);
$length = strpos($content, $endTag) - $start;
$property = substr($content, $start, $length);
return $property;
}

Full class file if needed

Now this is working perfectly for the name and subnav tags, but for some odd reason it won't work with the cat tags. I've renamed, changed what's in them...

If I print_r($modules) i get this: See online example.

Also, could anyone tell me why the indexes (defined by $k) of my array are 1 and 3 instead of 0 and 1. There's only 2 files in the directory, but it's as if the code checks each file once (adding 1 to $k) and when it checks a second time it adds it to the array...

Have a look at www.php.net/glob as an alternative to readdir(), it may help with your $k problem if you specify "*.php".

Alternatively, move the $k++ so it only increments when both if() conditions are satisfied.

thanks, moving $k++; fixed the key issue, but I'm still lost about what's happening with my <cat> tags...

I don't know if glob could help me, i'm guessing the files you want to search have to be in the same folder as the executing script?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.