Email code not working

thefollower

I am wondering what this error means this is my first attempt at email...is there something i have not done in my settings?

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: "sendmail_from" not set in php.ini or custom "From:" header missing in C:\xampp\htdocs\test4.php on line 7

Message delivery failed...

<?php
include("include.php");

$to = "test@gmail.com";
$subject = "Hi!";
$body = "Hi,\n\nHow are you?";
if (mail($to, $subject, $body)) {
  echo("<p>Message successfully sent!</p>");
} else {
  echo("<p>Message delivery failed...</p>");
}
?>

In your code..below there is a small error.

mail() function takes four parameters

1. to

2. subject

3. message

4. headers

for ex:- mail("test@gmail.com", "This is the subject", "Here will be your message", "From: sender@gmail.com");

just execute the above function by giving a working email address in the place of test@gmail.com, it doesnt matter from whom u r getting the mail and what is in the headers section (i.e .. sender@gmail.com) ('From:'  should always be there as the fourth parameter. you can add more information to this parameter.. but for u the above function works fine)

and thats what the error message saying , lacking of the fourth parameter.

-------------------------------------got cleared ?

<?php

include("include.php");

$to = "test@gmail.com";

$subject = "Hi!";

if (mail($to, $subject, $body)) {

} else {

}

?>

I did put a legit email i just changed it to test@gmail.com cos i did not want to put my email out in public..

<?php
include("include.php");

$to = "test@gmail.com";
$subject = "Hi!";
$From = "sender@gmail.com";
if (mail($to, $subject, $body, $From)) {
} else {
}
?>

Is that how it should be?

Stil gives me error even though i put the sender in...

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: "sendmail_from" not set in php.ini or custom "From:" header missing in C:\xampp\htdocs\test4.php on line 8

How do i turn it on last time i fiddled with settings i totally screwed up my apache and had to re-install.. don't want to make same mistake twice.

I found this in my settings:

sendmail_from no value no value

sendmail_path no value no value

Though theres no option to just turn it on in apache :S

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\xampp\htdocs\test4.php on line 8

This is what i have:

<?php
include("include.php");

$to = "test@gmail.com";
$subject = "Hi!";
$From = "sender@gmail.com";
if (mail($to, $subject, $body, "From: <$From>")) {
} else {
}
?>

see man, let me explain u clearly.. with the xampp u have installed u will get the apache server, sql server and some other but not mail server. if the code u have given is correct, even if u r working locally(means on your local machine , not on a web hoster) u wont get any errors.

if there are any errors then it will show u them.(even if u r working on web server)

the mistake in your code as i have explained earlier is missing last parameter

ur code after modified.

<?php

include("include.php");

$to = "test@gmail.com";

$subject = "Hi!";

$From = "From: sender@gmail.com";              //(this is how this line should be.. try this but not on your local machine

} else {

}

?>

you do one thing. login to www.x10hosting.com and create a login id. then he will give u a site name.. for ex. www.yourname.x10hosting.com

then go to your cpanel (http://yourname.x10hosting.com:2082) probably looks like this.. this cpanel link will be sent to u in your mail..

there u can upload your php pages (this is all free of cost.. thats a free site for web hosting)

there upload a file index.php and write your code in that file.

then access your site with www.yourname.x10hosting.com now if mail has been sent u will see success msg and if failed  , your failure message.

you can get the status of your mail function..whether its successfull or failure. by assigning  your mail function to a variable.

$ok = mail($to, $subject, $body, $From);

$ok will be TRUE if success, FALSE if failure.

hope this helped u.

see man, let me explain u clearly.. with the xampp u have installed u will get the apache server, sql server and some other but not mail server. if the code u have given is correct, even if u r working locally(means on your local machine , not on a web hoster) u wont get any errors.

if there are any errors then it will show u them.(even if u r working on web server)

the mistake in your code as i have explained earlier is missing last parameter

ur code after modified.

<?php

include("include.php");

$to = "test@gmail.com";

$subject = "Hi!";

$From = "From: sender@gmail.com";              //(this is how this line should be.. try this but not on your local machine

} else {

}

?>

you do one thing. login to www.x10hosting.com and create a login id. then he will give u a site name.. for ex. www.yourname.x10hosting.com

then go to your cpanel (http://yourname.x10hosting.com:2082) probably looks like this.. this cpanel link will be sent to u in your mail..

there u can upload your php pages (this is all free of cost.. thats a free site for web hosting)

there upload a file index.php and write your code in that file.

then access your site with www.yourname.x10hosting.com now if mail has been sent u will see success msg and if failed  , your failure message.

you can get the status of your mail function..whether its successfull or failure. by assigning  your mail function to a variable.

$ok = mail($to, $subject, $body, $From);

$ok will be TRUE if success, FALSE if failure.

hope this helped u.

I did put $From ... see above.

How ever i did not know i needed a server for it. i thought it would work from localhost like everything else. I'll sign up to that site and try it out.

Will let you know.

hei, the follower...

u have added $From to your code..but see that state ment carefully

u have given like this

$from = "xyz@abc.com";

but it should be like this

$from = "from: xyz@abc.com";

this is becos, fourth parameter to mail function is not just the from parameter.. it contains more details like

to: "x@y.com"

mime: 1.0

and so...

the above all parameters combinely constitute the last parameter. its called headers.

u might have observed in your mail.. the details of the person who sent that mail, to whom., text type(html/plain)... and so.. these details are the $headers(the fourth parameter)

anyhow read the replies carefully.. even a dot in the place of coma will affect the code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.