Apache wont start when doc root is on network share

mothra

I installed Apache 2.0.61, php, mysql, and phpmyadmin recently. I don't host anything I just need this at home for some light php development. I keep all of my files/sites on a central location on my home network. When I'm working from any machine except the one that I keep all the files on Apache won't start. I get an error "The requested peration has failed". If I change the doc root to any location on the machine I'm working on Apache starts just fine and serves pages up with no issues.

It probably has something to do with the permissions on the shared directory, but I don't have any problems accessing that share otherwise (?). I tried changing the sharing permissions to "Everyone" and it didn't help. The other thing I wonder about is that I make all of the files on that share available off line so I can take them on the road and synchronize when I get home. If I disable my network connection, then start Apache (with it still pointing to the network share) it WILL start and serve pages (remember, I can work offline).

I never had this problem back when I used the "packaged" Firepages install of PHP/MYsql/PHPmyadmin. I'm not a guru when it comes to this stuff, I just do development :) I'm hoping it's just a configuration issue. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.