[SOLVED] Time out issue

behzad

I have made a client panel that client have to login in order to see what they only have to see.

I have used dreamweaver.

If a client logs in and they stop using it for few minutes when they go back to do more queries they get logged out.

What approach should I take or what changes do I have to make.

It seems that the browser stops and because of no activity I am disconnected.

Ben

Yes I am calling session start.

Someone said PHP timeout, and I put set time out to zero and it still did not work.

I thing because the browser is not active it kicks me out. is there any way to make browser live or a include a page that refreshes itself for this not to happen.

Or any way other than these?

If you are on a shared host and your session data files are in the default location (ie. you have not set up your own folder and set the session save path to point to it) with all the other session data files, the shortest session.gc_maxlifetime from all the hosting accounts on that server will win. So, if it is a server that is getting a lot of session_start() statements (garbage collection runs often) or someone deliberately set session gc maxlifetime to a short value (thinking they were using it incorrectly as a logout timer) then your session data files might be getting deleted, which would end the session on the server side.

Yes I did. It did not let me to enter that page. I have a denial page that if you do not login correctly it tales me there. This is where it was directing me to when I did what you said. This was after I logged in and with a link went to this page.

Funny thing I made a refresh page included in a page and it has kept me in still, but because it is included the whole page changes and goes to the refresh script page.

Any Idea?

O.k.

I did something, I just tested it for 10Min and still o.k.

I put an IFrame on top of the pages with 1px hight and width, The IFrame is a page that has Meta Tag refresh every 20 seconds.

Do you think it is wise to do this or for any security reasons not wise.

Thank for all you help, if it works for longer I will let you guys know. Again Thanks guys.

Well You are very right.

I will look into this more as I am now. Remember “desperate times call for desperate measures”.

I am going to look into changing the session folder since the host is virtual and see how I go.

I am going closing this thread. Thanks to all of you guys out there, where ever. You guys are the real ones.

Ben

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.