Forcing dependency in a PHP application

therealwesfoster

I'm making web applications for people, and they're paying me half-price before, and half-price after

But if they don't pay me afterwards, I want to be able to "pull the plug" on their script, how would I do this?

I had the idea thought up one day, but I didnt write it down and now im completely lost again lmao

My idea is to make the main scripts include an external file (from my server) to get all the required variables the script will be needing... but, anyone who knows what they're doing could ignore the include() and define the variables theirself and make it work..

so what would be a good way to go about doing this?

You can do this

<?php mysql_connect("MY SERVER.net","username","password"); ?>

if you know what i mean, just buy a domain, and get a mysql database, and connect to the server.

if they don't pay, threaten them you will delete all of their data if they don't pay you. I am sorry, I really have no idea what to tell you, since I have never attempted to this at all.

don't do that, thats just bad bussiness, if you want people to treat you professional you can't act like a child,you have to be professional.

You make a compromise, you get a contract, you say for my own security  I will build on my server  and then distribute to you on payment.  If they aren't in the USA or you don't have a company like scriptlance above you, then dont' even start it cause you are going to get screwed.

don't do that, thats just bad bussiness, if you want people to treat you professional you can't act like a child,you have to be professional.

You make a compromise, you get a contract, you say for my own security  I will build on my server  and then distribute to you on payment.  If they aren't in the USA or you don't have a company like scriptlance above you, then dont' even start it cause you are going to get screwed.

Listen to this guy, has more experience, and I believe we had this one guy post a topic relating to this.

wow thanks for that.

I do do web design for profit for a lot of people, and I always either work with people in person, or I request some sort of contract or escrow payment made before I begin work. 

I have been screwed before, people will tend to say I'll pay and then when they realize its gonna cost a few hundred for a decent script they renege and you half way in.  I use scriptlance.com and after doing it for a few months I have made a decent amount of money out of what I would of wasted playing counterstrike. 

The moral of the story, don't just do open jobs (if you find one in freelance then get a contract or something), and know your projects before you start.  If you have full contact on your clients you can always sue if you need to.

Yes you can prevent them from doing certain things without payment, but if they are a legit client they have all intentions of paying in the first place, and deserve the trust associated with that

Well if you want an honest answer (I did this once, when I knew they were about to screw me)

You add a file that looks like it does a bunch of stuff, but in the end all it does is glob and set chmod of all to 0777

Make a second that will blank all files to no data

then if you do get screwed run that file, I did do it cause they did withold payment, and I did get my payment, but I wasn't proud of it.

Well if you want an honest answer (I did this once, when I knew they were about to screw me)

You add a file that looks like it does a bunch of stuff, but in the end all it does is glob and set chmod of all to 0777

Make a second that will blank all files to no data

then if you do get screwed run that file, I did do it cause they did withold payment, and I did get my payment, but I wasn't proud of it.

HAHA, sorry but thats a good idea truly.

But I say you host the website on your own script until they pay you for it, then give them the ftp account information and everything.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.