Problem displaying results using PHP from select query

jonfsbrighton

Hi there,

I am a little stuck and was wondering whether anyone would be able to point me in the right direction. I am building a video forum website and I am currently trying to create my categories page.

The problem I have is that I have created a wicked CSS style to display the list of question headings for the user to browse and select from. The questions are stored within the database under 'postcontent'. The only way I know how to extract the question titles and display this is as follows:

Run a mysql select query and extract the postcontent results, then loop through the database and extract all entries the postcontent records within the database.

Then on my main categories page I would echo the postcontent results and voila . . . I have my results . . . .

The problem I have is that I want to display each record within the postcontent result separately on the page, and not simply echoed out in a table with the results listed one after the other.

Does anyone have any thoughts or tutorials they can direct me towards to solve this?

Cheers

Jon

Hi there,

Yes I will need to add paging to my page, I want to display 10 question titles and then have a next button to display the next set of records. That link will be very helpful thanks.

However I still am unsure of how to layout my results. Basically when I extract my data using the select statement, it loops through the database and stores all the question titles under postcontent, then when I echo the post content variable on my cat page it displays all the questions as one lump block.

What I want to do is to extract each record within postcontent variable and display them in different parts of the page . . . . I am thinking able arrays would this be the correct avenue to go down?

Cheers for your help

Jon

Here is the link http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials/43/0.php. Get you information from the database and store each record as an array. Then you can echo each individual array on the page where you want. Something like

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM  albums");
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
  {
  echo $row['album_name'];
  echo "<br />";
  }

The above code only prints out my album names.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.