PHP Security Question

jk11uk

Hi im just learning about application security as i had one of mine hacked a while back.

I was just wondering if CHMOD is a security issue ? If my application is seccure (well, as seccure as an application can be) could the file permissions give me trouble? if so, what permissions should i assign to which type of files? for example general files, then files which need to be accessed by code but contain sensetive info (eg. the file with the database details)

thanks a lot in advance for any help :)

CHMOD in itself is not a security issue as it is a way to flag file for their accessability.  However imporoperly flagged files is an issue.

By default you want to limit access to files/folders to what is needed and nothing more.  For the most part this means dont' let public write to folder (no XXX7) or files.

If you don't make an open system you will be fine.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.